Archduke Carl Christian of Austria
Archduke Carl Christian of Austria (Carl Christian Maria Anna Rudolph Anton Marcus d’Aviano), known as Christian, is the husband of Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg. He was born on August 26, 1954, at the Château de Belœil in Belgium, the second son of Archduke Carl Ludwig of Austria and Princess Yolande of Ligne. He is a grandson of the last Austrian Emperor Karl I and his wife, Princess Zita of Bourbon-Parma.
Carl Christian has three siblings:
- Archduke Rudolf of Austria (born 1950), married Baroness Hélène de Villenfagne de Vogelsanck, had eight children
- Archduchess Alexandra of Austria (born 1952), married Héctor Riesle, Chilean ambassador to the Holy See, had three children
- Archduchess Maria Constanza of Austria (born 1957) married Franz Josef, Prince of Auersperg-Trautson, had three daughters and one adopted daughter
On February 6, 1982, Archduke Christian married his second cousin, Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg, the daughter of Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine Charlotte of Belgium. A civil ceremony was held at the Grand Ducal Palace followed by a religious ceremony at the Cathédrale Notre Dame, both in Luxembourg City, Luxembourg. The couple had five children:
- Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria (1983), married Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, had three children
- Archduke Imre of Austria (1985), married Kathleen Elizabeth Walker, had three children
- Archduke Christoph of Austria (1988), married Adélaïde Marie Béatrice Drapé-Frisch, had three children
- Archduke Alexander of Austria (1990)
- Archduchess Gabriella of Austria (1994), engaged to Prince Henri of Bourbon-Parma, had one child
Christian was very close to his uncle, Archduke Otto (Dr. Otto von Habsburg), and traveled extensively with him, often speaking on his behalf. He was also a very visible member at any events relating to the beatification of his grandfather, Emperor Karl of Austria.
The Archduke works in Geneva, Switzerland where he manages a company specializing in audit and control of financial institutions. In addition, he serves as President of the Board of Directors of G&C Kreglinger.